Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mount Tai

No banquet last night – we went to Mount Tai, climbed a total of 6,700 steps, and went from a bit above sea level to 700 meters above. My God, I thought I would die, but I didn’t and am stronger for having done it! The steps are unreal! I will try to send a picture tonight but I’m not sure that I can get on my blog here. The Shangdong University campus and the hotel and conference center I am staying at have more filters. There are Tao shrines all the way up and it is a most beautiful experience. Some of the old people, can't see how they do it. Mr. Wang, Anna, our driver, and another Mr. Wang all traveled light. I had my backpack with a change of clothes, the whole bit. Yes, they were wise. We took the bus from the city to a halfway point and began our assent – wait till you see the pictures! We stayed at the hotel at the summit, had dinner, and turned in around 9:00 p.m. as we were to be up at 4:30 a.m. so we could watch the sun rise. Got a wake-up call, got shaved and ready (showered the night before because the hot water is on only from 5:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.) Chinese/Russian army winter coats are in the closet for guests to wear (needed them this morning). The hotel guide took us up yet more stairs and out to an open area of rocks that looked directly to the East. I am told if you get to see the sun rise once or twice a month you are lucky because of the clouds at this height. Guess what? It was clear and the sun rise was a mystical experience! I felt myself shaking, not because of the cold, and a lump in my throat. The beauty was awe-inspiring. We managed to spend a half hour out on the cliff taking in the sight and being overcome with emotion. The Bolton principal was here also but went back after the climb. We got started late because our sister school had their annual sports competition. That was unbelievable! Of course, all 1,900 students, 104 staff, a contingent of the Chinese Army, and many parents were waiting for the American principal to arrive to start the games. I was waiting for the call to come down to the car and, when the interpreter walked in and saw that I was planning to go to Mount Tai after the sports competition, she took over and said “no” to this, that, and the next thing. In hindsight after that climb, thank you Anna very much! Once I walked into the back of the school with most of the school assembled, they cheered, and the band began to play. About half of the school marched in front of the reviewing stand. I was in the middle, the Chinese Army captain to my right, the interpreter to my left with the principal and the assistant. The students were well-drilled (self-drilled – they do not wait for their teachers to practice). They had a multi-flag contingent that surrounded the track and each class as it passed through filled in a space on the track. When the parade was over, they dismissed to the outer ring of the track. Then the games began. There was a four-legged race with three contestants, relay races, and a large contingent of parent participants, including my counterpart here who took part in a father/mother/child race where the parents each take one side of their child and run, holding them aloft. This was with the 1st and 2nd graders. Tonight, Mr. Wang and I were invited to dine with Mr. Zhang Xinming, the Director of the General Office Of the Shandong Water Conservation Department. He was in Connecticut in 2006 and attended the business coalition at Central Connecticut State University. The Assistant Director of that Department at CCSU was the individual, who lives in Bolton, who tried to help me get information on our sister school prior to leaving. Mr. Zhang Xinming tracked me and Mr. Smith down at our respective schools and invited us to dinner so he could share his hospitality with principals from Connecticut. The dinner conversation was helpful in understanding how the school, business, and state connection is helping to build understanding and cooperation. Tomorrow, I have some more classes to visit, then a farewell assembly where I will begin by sharing the photos I brought from Andover Elementary.

No comments: